Lipoedema self diagnosis
Lipoedema self diagnosis : are you wondering if you have lipoedema?
It’s important to self-diagnose quickly. This disease affects people regardless of their BMI (Body Mass Index). Therefore, in case of obesity, it is difficult to determine if you have lipoedema based on the appearance of your upper and/or lower limbs alone.
Lipoedema self-diagnosis : the signs
Below you will find out what signs may indicate that you have lipoedema:
- An unbalanced body. Do your upper and/or lower limbs look and feel different from the rest of your body? The first sign that is usually noticed is this.
- Impossible weight loss. You have tried to lose weight, through dieting and sports, and only certain parts of your body have “responded”. Your waistline has become thin and you have not noticed any positive changes in your lower/upper limbs despite diet and exercise.
- Vascular fragility. The affected areas are very sensitive to touch and pressure, and this sensitivity may vary from one person to another.
- Enlargement of the lower limbs. The vascular fragility linked to lipoedema results in the spontaneous appearance of hematomas on the affected areas. These hematomas do not disappear easily and may leave marks.
- Enlargement of the lower limbs. You have noticed an enlargement of your lower limbs that stops at the ankles, your feet are not affected; similarly for the upper limbs the enlargement of the tissues stops at the wrists. Your hands have a normal appearance.
- You feel a swelling, a heaviness of the affected areas.
- In some advanced cases of lipoedema, you may notice a loss of mobility. Muscle weakness that can lead to difficulty in moving, resulting in an awkward gait.
Lipedema self-diagnosis is the first step towards recovery
All of these signs should alert you to the possibility of being affected by lipoedema. Do you think you may be affected by this condition? You should now talk to a health professional (general practitioner, angiologist, surgeon…). A quick management of the disease allows a better life with it.
You can also contact us by phone at 01.45.74.12.25.
You can contact us via the pre-consultation form for an appointment.